Sommelier Wine Pairing Tips
Sommelier Wine Pairing Tips
If you’re one who likes to indulge in a little tipple alongside a delicious Sunday roast, you’ll know how important it is to get the perfect wine that beautifully complements a succulent, organic centrepiece. At Eversfield Organic, we’ve been working to improve our organic selection of wine online (who doesn’t like a wine delivery?!) as well as in our Farm Shops to make your dinner that little bit more special.
With that in mind, we’ve been in touch with our wonderful Sommelier Marie, who works at our Totnes Shop (the wine cave itself is worth a visit!), to bring you a range of both red and white wines that pair exquisitely with traditional roasting centrepieces and complete your organic food delivery.
If you know us, you’ll know how proud we are of our 100% organic, grass-fed, award-winning cuts of premium beef. With a roasting joint so juicy and utterly delicious, finding the perfect wine combination is a must. Marie’s suggestions for beef dishes are:
- Domaine Bousquet Malbec – hints of vanilla and spice entangle with the traditional plum, blackberry and cherry fruit flavours that Malbec is famous for. This multi-award-winning red wine is rich and velvety, bursting with black fruits and the perfect partner for tasty beef. What’s more, this wine is part of our Christmas wine case offer in which you can save 10% by purchasing a 6x750ml bottle case for a limited time only.
- Theodorus Riesling – This dry Riesling from Pfalz wine region of Germany has rich flavours of apple, lemon and apricot that will pair beautifully with flavoursome meats such as beef. The highly balanced acidity allows this white wine to cut through fat making it ideal for cooking such dishes as well as drinking alongside.
Lamb joints are one of the easier roasting meats, as well as presenting a centrepiece that is sure to be a real crowd-pleaser. One of the classics, a whole leg of our organic slow roasted lamb with the shank on, smoked gradually over oak chippings here on our farm combines delightfully with:
- Chateau de La Marjoliere Cahors Malbec – A fine Cahors from organic Malbec grapes hosting rich, complex flavours of black cherry and leather. The extended bottle aging before release has mellowed the tannins to give a soft mouthfeel and long, lingering finish. This French red wine perfectly highlights the delicious flavours of smoked lamb.
- Trevibban Mill Orion Orange Wine – A unique ‘orange’ wine with aromatic flavours. Dry but with spicy notes, finished with apricots and orange peel. No added sulphates make this white wine even more of a pleasure to drink. This slightly adventurous choice can stand up to the strong tastes of a succulent lamb.
Our organic ducks are not just a festive treat but present a beautiful roast all year round. The delectable crisp of a duck roasted in a hot oven with golden roast potatoes and a full flavoured, fruity gravy is only topped by adding one of these beautiful wines:
- Walnut Block Nutcracker Pinot Noir – A sheen of classy oak spice adds further refinement to this deep, plush and sensuous fine example of Marlborough Pinot Noir red wine. Sufficient freshness on the finale ensures the whole ensemble is beautifully balanced and extremely enjoyable with delicious duck.
- Macon-Villages Vielle Vignes Verpailles – A fine, classic Macon-Villages bouquet with aromatic tones of pear, white flowers and a touch of exotic fruits. Gentle, creamy and yet perfectly balanced with a telling cut of fresh acidity and a trace of minerality. Alive, pure and seamless, this white wine pairs well with juicy roast duck.
Our tasty, traditional free-range geese come oven ready and are brilliant for a family celebration. They are dry plucked and hung to give an amazing flavour and produces fat that is excellent for future roasts. Save the giblets and fat for the best gravy and extra crispy goose fat roasties and pair with:
- Insieme Nero d’Avola – Insieme means together, reflecting the partnership with South Africa’s Stellar Winery that helped create this no added sulphur red wine. Juicy damson and bramble fruits shine through – a purer wine would be hard to find. Soft, supple and smooth black fruits complement our organic goose.
- Les Petites Perdrix Sauvignon Blanc/Semillon – A 50/50 blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Semillon with peach, citrus and elderflower. The initial flavours are accompanied by later hints of pineapple and elderberry, with Sauvignon bringing fruit and grass flavourings while Semillon adds body and a slight waxiness. Pour a glass of this white wine with a golden goose.
When it comes to a Christmas roast, we all know it’s the Turkey who reigns supreme. Our organic Turkeys are the very best quality Heritage birds, ensuring a moist and flavoursome centrepiece. The very best turkeys deserve the very best wine, so if indulging if a two-week hung tasty turkey you may want to try these wines to accompany:
- Chateau Rochecolombe Cote du Rhone – The fantastic initial spice and hints of wild strawberry are a sure sign that you’re onto a fine example of Rhone. With a mouth full of black fruits, serious weight and black peppery spice, this red is one not to be missed when treating yourself to a Christmas turkey feast.
- Signos De Origen La Vinilla – From the popular wine region of the Casablanca Valley in Chile, the slowly ripened grapes allow for a very aromatic and fruity white wine. With toasted almond flavours from 6-month aging, robust and creamy with a backbone of acidity, this well-balanced Chardonnay blend will accompany all poultry perfectly including a traditional roast chicken.
- Libby Long